Downtown Historic District
St. Clairsville’s Downtown Historic District, a portion of which was listed on the U.S. Department of the Interior’s National Register of Historic Places in 1994, is the heartbeat of the community. The Belmont County Courthouse and Sheriff’s Residence Museum serve as anchors to this vibrant downtown core. The service industry is well represented with many professional offices (legal, insurance, real estate, engineering, and consulting), banks and small businesses, along with county offices and the public library. Specialized retail and a few dining options accentuate this quaint and walkable district. A stroll along Main Street is well worth the trip for history and architecture buffs since many of the structures in the district date back to the 1820’s.
Built in 1890, the historic Clarendon Hotel is one of the largest and most significant buildings in the downtown district, in part because of its association with the Historic National Road. This recently restored structure offers opportunity for first floor retail or office space. The second and third floors have been renovated with furnished apartments available for lease.
Despite the consistently high occupancy rate of existing properties in the downtown, there are still a few vacant lots available. In addition, for years the City has promoted the open space offered in its alleys which could be directed toward retail, housing, parking, garden/park space, or low traffic volume office opportunities. The City is willing to work with developers to enhance the use of these remaining properties.
St. Clair Commons
St. Clair Commons is the most recent mixed use development area established in the southeast corner of the community. This is a 94 acre site which features a new 100-unit senior living facility. Community related enhancements have been discussed, including the addition of walking paths, community gardens, and activity stations with a goal of connecting these amenities to the existing National Road Bikeway. A new connector road is being constructed under the auspices of the Ohio Department of Transportation. This road will pass through St. Clair Commons, opening up additional opportunities while making a new connection between U.S. 40 and the Ohio Valley Mall in Richland Township.
Developed in the early 1990s, Plaza West is St. Clairsville’s more modern business district. This shopping area contains a major, locally-owned supermarket as its anchor. Restaurants, doctors’ offices, banks, and a medical complex make up this busy shopping district.
Additional West End Site
On the west end of St. Clairsville is approximately 19 acres which is available to be developed. Zoned as Office and Institution, it is contiguous to U.S. 40 and Interstate 70. If utilities were to be extended to the area, the property would be ripe for development.