The National Road Bikeway in St. Clairsville is the only rail trail in Ohio with a tunnel. This is not to be confused with being the only bike trail in Ohio with a tunnel as there are several. This trail is the only RAIL trail, and St. Clairsville is proud of the distinction. The tunnel is 532 feet long and 40 feet high. The tunnel restoration for the bikeway maintained the cave-like interior. Interior lighting was installed with lights that reflect 90% of the light down onto the trail and 10% up to the ceiling. The northern end of the tunnel features a two plaza overlook, allowing the user an 80 foot high view of the bike trail at the top level. This tunnel is truly a sight to be seen. Opening ceremonies were held on June 26, 1998.
A video, created for the City by ESV Productions in St. Clairsville, explains the various phases of this project. The CD version is available for sale for $5.00. To obtain a copy, please send a check or money order (payable to St. Clairsville) to: City of St. Clairsville, Bikeway Video, DOPS, PO Box 537, St. Clairsville, OH 43950.
Rules and Regulations
It shall be the responsibility of any bikeway user to be aware of and obey all rules and regulations. Failure to comply with the rules, posted or not, may result in the issuance of a citation, expulsion from the bikeway and/or arrest. For full details, please refer to the Codified Ordinances for St. Clairsville: Title Nine, Chapter 375.
- No motorized vehicles
- Wheelchair use is encouraged
- Stay on bikeway since private property is on each side of the trail
- Open during daylight hours only
- Pedestrians and disabled have the right-of-way
- Vehicle crossings at streets and driveways have the right-of-way
- Bikeway users shall yield to law enforcement, emergency and City maintenance vehicles which have the right-of-way on all portions of the bikeway
- Keep to the right and do not block bikeway
- Give audible “passing on left” signal before passing
- Keep pets on a leash no longer than three (3) feet and under control at all times
- Carry plastic bags and clean up after your pet
- 15 MPH speed limit
- Helmets and all safety equipment recommended
- No skateboards, horses, golf carts, or shooting
- No hunting, fires, fireworks, weapons or model power toys
- Possession or use of alcohol or any illegal drug (or related paraphernalia) is prohibited
- Use extra caution when sharing the bike lane and street routes with motorized vehicles
- Use the bikeway quietly and with courtesy to our neighbors
- NO jumps or stunts on bikes, rollerblades, etc. and NO ramps
- No radios or other electronic equipment played at a volume that can be heard by anyone other than its owner
- No littering, including cigarettes or other tobacco products
Please be predictable, alert, cautious and courteous when using the National Road Bikeway.